Yesterday we all came together for a little training and to plan our lessons for the week. We finally had the chance to meet the other teachers! They all seem fantastic. It will be fun to get to know them better on our vacations and all. Oh and side note, speaking about vacations. We booked our first flight for a vacay to...GREECE!! Ah I cannot wait. It will be over valentines day, so what a great day to be all us gals in a beautiful country. ;) The hostels are also booked and look amazing! So that is something to look forward to!
Let's talk a little about the freezing temps here! I decided today that I cannot leave the house with only one pair of pants on, after freezing my butt off yesterday! I walked to the other teachers apartment after training and so ended up walking home around 9. I had my coat, gloves, scarf, and hat all on (but only 1 pair of pants). I also wrapped my infinity scarf around 3 times so that it acts as a sort of face mask as well. About half way back to my house, my eyes were watering, my face that wasn't covered by my scarf was freezing, and my hands and legs were hurting because of the cold! Luckily it didn't take too long to defrost when I got inside.
Today was my first real day of teaching an actual ILP lesson. It wasn't that bad. The first group of kids comes from 9-11 and the second from 11-1. 9:15 rolls around and one little girl, Sophia, shows up. She was super shy for quite awhile. Olia was talking to her and trying to reason with her for about 15 or so minuets. She came around eventually and teacher Haley took her for her first lesson. I would then have her after that. It was really strange with just one student being there. I had prepared to play musical chairs... So as you can imagine, that couldn't really work out well with just one student. I figured it out though and made it work. I'm glad that it wasn't my first experience teacher here though, or I might have panicked.
Haha oh my, one of the funniest moments I have had here! I was teaching a lesson, having the kids do a letter "A" worksheet, and this girl, Alisa, just starts singing this song! I started laughing and then filming. These kids know the most random songs...
Our second group of kids came and luckily there was more than just one student for each class. The kids were obviously adorable! The younger kids were a bit of a handful actually, which I wasn't really expecting. They know a little less English than I had imagined and so getting them to do what I needed was harder. They would rather just run around the room and pull on each others clothes. But I would say it was a pretty good first day of teaching at Pozniaky! Tomorrow will be at a new school. Mon, Wed, Fri I have morning schedule at Pozinaky and Tues, Thurs I go to Central school which requires taking the metro. We will see how that goes tomorrow!After teaching today, I went and got my nails done, thanks to Olia for setting me up! haha It's only about $7 for gel nails! What a steel... Walking home I nearly froze again. It was super windy all day today, so that makes it 10x worse! And I still had not remembered to put on 2 pairs of pants! Stupid move on my part. In Ukraine, they don't really clear the walk ways or the streets, so the ice can be super think and is very slippery when its -15 and all. I literally skate rather than walk. I have yet to fall though, so it's working. But then I see Ukrainian women walk fast in their heel boots and wonder "how on earth!?"
On my walk back home
Arriving home, riding in the creepy elevator
No comments:
Post a Comment