Sunday, January 10, 2016

"Ukrainians are not skimpy on the chocolate"

We started off early this morning. Getting ready was a little different. This week, the students that school here at the boarding school will be coming. So us four teachers had to move out of our room and in with all of the girls from the camp. Sleep over! haha This week will be fun, being very close with all the girls... ;) 
After breakfast, we all piled into buses and headed to the ornament making factory about an hour away. Many times while driving, I feared for our lives. On top of the roads being covered in snow and slush, the driver was making some crazy maneuvers. Of course it's normal for Ukranians, but for us Americans it was a little nerve-racking.  Actually, it was a lot like driving in Vanuatu, just with bad roads! At one point while driving on a pretty large highway, we did a u-turn along with 2 other cars! All at the same time. It was an experience. 
The factory was pretty cool. They walked us through, showing us how they make them, heating them and blowing them. They hand paint the ornaments which are all so beautiful! There were some with famous paintings on them. Of course I had to buy one (which it was only like 2 bucks here) so I hope it can survive the trip back home without getting shattered. 
We got back into the buses and headed back. Not as bumpy of a ride as the way there. We stopped at a little shop so the kids could all buy some snacks if they wanted. And us teachers bought some ice cream. I bought one that was kind of like a drumstick, but like 10 times better! It was chocolate and cream cheese flavor ice cream, because everything that is white is probably cream cheese in Ukraine. It was kind of like cheesecake flavor. Anyway, it had thick chocolate swirled inside the ice cream and the chocolate in the bottom of the cone. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Let me tell you, Ukrainians know how to do chocolate. And I love chocolate so that works out. haha There are these amazing straw looking cookies filled with chocolate and they are so die for. If I don't gain weight while I'm here, I would be very surprised. With all the chocolate and starchy foods. 
When we got back to the school, we worked on preparing our lessons for the coming week. Back to reality. Work is still here. It's going to be a fun week though. I'm looking forward to it. :) 
And now for pictures! 







Creepy Santa at the ornament factory

The boys

Today's dinner=delicious

     Our amazing group of kids

1 comment: